Best practices for abuse@ mailbox and network abuse complaint handling?

Al Iverson aliversonchicagolists at gmail.com
Sat May 12 15:01:52 UTC 2007

On 5/11/07, Suresh Ramasubramanian <ops.lists at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Probably 98% of the mailbox is from are spammers who've harvested or
> > randomly targeted abuse@ addresses for male enhancement, maybe 1.99%
>
> So?  A little filtering should handle a lot of that, procmail even.
> At least to file the obvious crap into a different folder that can be
> looked at and blown away

I've had good luck using Spamhaus's ZEN blacklist to filter mail
inbound to our abuse desk. Tagging and manually reviewing all messages
for a month before enabling it as a true filter showed me that the
risk of dropping legitimate email on the floor seemed to be nil.

My experience: http://tinyurl.com/3a4xdu

Regards,
Al Iverson
--