ISP CALEA compliance

Steven M. Bellovin smb at cs.columbia.edu
Fri May 11 19:48:18 UTC 2007

On Fri, 11 May 2007 12:17:04 -0400
Jared Mauch <jared at puck.nether.net> wrote:

> 	If there is interest, perhaps I can make a call to DoJ and
> see if someone can present on CALEA at nanog in a few weeks?  (incase
> the PC can accomodate them).

And perhaps someone from CDT?  I mean that in all seriousness.  DoJ and
the FBI have pushed the statutory envelope on CALEA, in my opinion.
Different lawyers will often disagree on what the law actually requires
(I'm not even talking about what it should require); it's worth getting
other perspectives.

Education on this subject is good.  When NANOG met in DC a few years
ago, I personally invited a DoJ attorney to speak on Sunday on wiretap
law (http://www.nanog.org/mtg-0010/justice.html).  I'm not
unsympathetic to legitimate law enforcement or national security needs,
and I'm aware that ISPs need to obey the law.  But DoJ needs to obey
it, too.