ISP CALEA compliance

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Fri May 11 04:32:23 UTC 2007

On Thu, 10 May 2007, Joe Provo wrote:
> Highly likely for most old requests.  Your voice folks can tell you the
> #1 CALEA request is neither kiddie pron nor terrrists, but rather DEA.

Remember, CALEA compliance is separate from any intercept orders you
receive.  If you ask your voice folks, you'll also find out very few
current voice intercepts actually use CALEA compliant equipment or
capabilities.

CALEA is primarily concerned with the interception of real-time
communications, and doesn't included access to stored records.

http://www.access.gpo.gov/uscode/title47/chapter9_subchapteri_.html

Also if you talk to your voice guys who have been doing this for many
years, you'll discover everytime an telephone engineer opened his mouth
and said "what about this," the response from the government was "yes,
we want that too, even though we don't understand what it is."

> Anyone concerned with broadband CALEA should check with their legal team
> and officers to see who if anyone signed off on the securities manual
> form 445 and form 105 SSI.  Dealines were in February and March, so if
> your legal believes you are needing to comply, they should have already
> handled the matter.

Yep, that's why you have lawyers and legal departments.  CALEA is not
an engineering problem, its a legal/budget problem.  Whose legal and
budget is going to pay for it, and who doesn't.