ISP CALEA compliance

William Allen Simpson william.allen.simpson at gmail.com
Thu May 10 20:22:28 UTC 2007

Jon Lewis wrote:
> On Thu, 10 May 2007, William Allen Simpson wrote:
>
>> Follow the usual best practices, and you may save time and money.
>>
>> 1. Ensure that your DHCP, RADIUS, SMTP, and other logs are always,
>> ALWAYS, *ALWAYS* rolled over and deleted within 7 days without backup.
>> I'd recommend 3 days, but operational requirements vary.
>
> Assuming you're actually serious, how do you deal with customers who
> dispute usage one or more months ago (when they get their bill)?

We've never charged on a "usage" model.  We always charged on a fixed
tier bandwidth model, payable in advance.

Remember, ISPs surpassed bloated telcos in large part because half of
telco's inflated costs were for accounting and administration.  A long
fight with ATT in standards committees was because ATT made 40% or more of
their money on minute by minute billed long-distance fax....  That we
made available inexpensively, fixed price, email, etc.

We are much more efficient!

Unfortunately, as Sean mentioned, CALEA assumes everybody looks like a
vertically integrated telco.