ISP CALEA compliance

Jason Frisvold xenophage0 at gmail.com
Thu May 10 18:03:02 UTC 2007

On 5/10/07, Jared Mauch <jared at puck.nether.net> wrote:
>         If you're not offering VoIP services, your life may be easier as
> you will only need to intercept the data.  Depending on your environment
> you could do this with something like port-mirroring, or something
> more advanced.  There are a number of folks that offer TTP (Trusted
> third-provider) services.  Verisign comes to mind.  But using a TTP
> doesn't mean you can hide behind them.  Compliance is ultimately your
> (the company that gets the subponea) responsibility.

Here's a question that's come up around here.  Does a CALEA intercept
include "hairpining" or is it *only* traffic leaving your network?
I'm of the opinion that a CALEA intercept request includes every bit
of traffic being sent or received by the targeted individual, but
there is strong opposition here that thinks only internet-related
traffic counts.

--
Jason 'XenoPhage' Frisvold
XenoPhage0 at gmail.com