ISP CALEA compliance

Nikos Mouat nikm at cyberflunk.com
Thu May 10 15:44:00 UTC 2007

I have interpretted CALEA to apply only to providers of VOICE service, be
it VOIP or traditional, however I was told this morning point blank by the
FCC that CALEA most definitely applies to all ISPs that provide internet
access at speeds over 200k.

The FCC said that routers must send a copy of all packets to and from a
selected IP to law enforcement in real time from gateway routers.

I've seen very little CALEA related traffic on this list which reinforced
my belief that it did not apply to data providers.

Can anyone comment on this?

Thanks.
-nm