[cacti-announce] Cacti 0.8.6j Released (fwd)

Joe Abley jabley at ca.afilias.info
Wed May 9 13:44:10 UTC 2007

On 9-May-2007, at 05:25, <michael.dillon at bt.com>
<michael.dillon at bt.com> wrote:

>> but I'm still unclear on
>> what an MIB actually _is_,
>
> A MIB is the database schema for an object-oriented hierarchical
> database.

I believe that (some?) purists would assert that there is but one
MIB, and that all other MIB-like entities shipped by vendors and
others are properly called MIB Extensions. This is pedantry, however.

Once upon a time when I was called about to care about this stuff I
digested the book "Understanding SNMP MIBs" by David Perkins and Evan
McGinnis, Prentice Hall, ISBN 0-13-437708-7. Anybody looking for a
dead-tree treatment of SNMP from the design perspective could do a
lot worse.

Joe