Cacti 0.8.6j Released (fwd)

Matthew Palmer mpalmer at hezmatt.org
Wed May 9 05:28:13 UTC 2007

On Tue, May 08, 2007 at 08:10:56PM -0700, matthew zeier wrote:
> >>and
> >>more to the point how the whole shebang (I'm using net-snmpd) is
> >>typically used.
> >
> >Agent on device provides values, management app(s) collect data by polling
> >(and possibly via traps), sysadmin gets to go home on time for once.
>
> I have yet to see this work in practice however.

Yeah, I misread 'typically' as 'theoretically'.  Practical experience is
more like:

Agent on device lies about it's values, management apps collect lies (and
ignore/lose traps), and the sysadmin has yet more software to swear at.
<grin>

- Matt

--
I'm seriously considering getting one of those bright-orange prison
overalls and stencilling PASSENGER on the back.  Along with the paper