F/OSS SNMP tools (was Re: Cacti 0.8.6j Released)

Kevin Blackham blackham at gmail.com
Wed May 9 04:40:37 UTC 2007

You only need to worry about vendor MIBs if you're trying to query/monitor
something vendor-specific.  Standard stuff like ifInOctets and ifDescr are
included in everything.  I like to either read through MIBs by hand, or load
em in a MIB browser (like mbrowse or use vendor C's snmp explorer tool) to
search/dig into a table/value that interests me, then snmpwalk a base OID to
find instances and enter the pattern directly into whatever collector tool
I'm using that week.  If you're trying to use vendor MIBs, you also have to
deal with dependencies and conflicts, so prepare for some hair-pulling hell.

I'm still on the hunt for a decent F/OSS trap receiver that will allow me to
just load up MIBs, and have some simple config/UI method for selecting
trigger actions/notifications, maybe some filtering and unknown-trap
handling etc.  Trying to snag traps with snmptrapd and parsing text output
is uncooperative.  Inconsistent formatting of key/value etc.