barak-online.net icmp performance vs. traceroute/tcptraceroute, ssh, ipsec

Adrian Chadd adrian at creative.net.au
Tue May 8 01:55:25 UTC 2007

On Mon, May 07, 2007, Joe Maimon wrote:

> Joe Maimon wrote:
>

> >This is obviously not best effort. Best guess would be "managed
> >bandwidth" differentiated by ip ranges and that the "change" was a
> >different pool assignment.
> >
> >I suspect the stellar icmp echo performance is also intentional.
>
> Or it could just be some QOS policing/shaping.

How asymmetric is the link? I've noticed quite dramatic differences when
configuring even basic policy maps with WRED on DSL TX-side on CPE (ie,
the small sized pipe upstream from client to ISP.)

I can't (normally) control what the ISP is sending to me*, but I can
try to make the best of the situation. And it can allow pipes to be
almost fully utilised without massive performance drop-offs at the
top end.

Adrian

* except in instances where I also run the ISP network..