On-going Internet Emergency and Domain Names

Hank Nussbacher hank at efes.iucc.ac.il
Sat Mar 31 18:38:52 UTC 2007

On Sat, 31 Mar 2007, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:

> On Sat, 31 Mar 2007, Gadi Evron wrote:
>
>> In this case, we speak of a problem with DNS, not sendmail, and not bind.
>
> The argument can be made that you're trying to solve a windows-problem by
> implementing blocking in DNS.
>
> Next step would be to ask all access providers to block outgoing UDP/53 so
> people can't use open resolvers or machines set up to act as resolvers for
> certain DNS information that the botnets need, as per the same analysis that
> blocking TCP/25 stops spam.
>
> So what you're trying to do is a pure stop-gap measure that won't scale in
> the long run. Fix the real problem instead of trying to bandaid the symptoms.

IMHO, Windows will always have some 0-day appearing every quarter -
whether it be in XP or Vista.  Or it will be in Apache, or it will be in
Sendmail or it will be in some other app.  So if taking a 10,000 foot
view, apps will always have 0-day holes that are abused.  Nowadays, the
latest vector is fast-flux.  I think that closing that vector via fast
closure of a particular domain name is something we should tackle.  True,
the baddies will find some other vector.  But that doesn't mean we should
ignore this one.

-Hank