On-going Internet Emergency and Domain Names

Gadi Evron ge at linuxbox.org
Sat Mar 31 02:18:07 UTC 2007

There is a current on-going Internet emergency: a critical 0day
vulnerability currently exploited in the wild threatens numerous desktop
systems which are being compromised and turned into bots, and the domain
names hosting it are a significant part of the reason why this attack has
not yet been mitigated.

This incident is currenly being handled by several operational groups.

This past February, I sent an email to the Reg-Ops (Registrar
Operations) mailing list. The email, which is quoted below, states how DNS
abuse (not the DNS infrastructure) is the biggest unmitigated current
vulnerability in day-to-day Internet security operations, not to mention
abuse.

While we argue about this or that TLD, there are operational issues of the
highest importance that are not being addressed.

The following is my original email message, elaborating on these above
statements. Please note this was indeed just an email message, sent among
friends.