TCP and WAN issue

JAKO Andras jako.andras at eik.bme.hu
Tue Mar 27 21:02:28 UTC 2007

 Philip,

> I have an east coast and west coast data center connected with a DS3. I
> am running into issues with streaming data via TCP and was wondering
> besides hardware acceleration, is there any options at increasing
> throughput and maximizing the bandwidth? How can I overcome the TCP
> stack limitations inherent in Windows (registry tweaks seem to not
> functions too well)?

I don't know the RTT, but you should have at least 300 kByte buffers on
the end hosts for a 60 ms RTT path to reach 40 Mbps TCP throughput. (This
requires window scaling as well.) Is this what you were trying to tune on
your Windows hosts?

Is your DS3 free of errors? Even a very low packet loss can degrade TCP
performance badly.

You'll find a lot of useful information about TCP performance in the
GEANT2 PERT Knowledge Base at http://www.kb.pert.geant2.net/

Andras