SLA monitoring and reporting to customers

william(at)elan.net william at elan.net
Mon Mar 19 10:20:26 UTC 2007

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007, virendra rode // wrote:

> william(at)elan.net wrote:
>>

>> On Sun, 18 Mar 2007, Rubens Kuhl Jr. wrote:
>>
>>> What open-source or low-budget tools are operators using for SLA
>>> monitoring when the reports (current state and historical) should be
>>> available to customers ?
>>
>> Please define SLA in terms of monitoring.
> - -----------------------
> I would say,
>
> - - availability

OK - network connection up or UP/DOWN with list of when its down
and for how long and SLA based on amount of time its been down
or more commonly time_up/time_down*100

> - - response time / latency

ok ping latency graph for user view with SLA based on maximum
average latency over given time period

> - - utilization

How is that part of SLA? Or do you mean you gurantee that
your own upstream network connection would not be overutilized?

> - - accuracy and errors

accuracy of what? what type of errors, packet drops?

> - - five nines, six nines , take your pick and define your own holy grail.

$ echo "60*24*365*(1-0.99999)" | bc -l
5.25600

You wish to tell me you guarantee network connection to customer to
be down for no more then 5 minutes during the year? Yeh, right :)
(but don't let me discourage any of you in trying to achieve it!)

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks
william at elan.net