SLA monitoring and reporting to customers

william(at)elan.net william at elan.net
Sun Mar 18 23:50:46 UTC 2007

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007, Rubens Kuhl Jr. wrote:

> What open-source or low-budget tools are operators using for SLA
> monitoring when the reports (current state and historical) should be
> available to customers ?

Please define SLA in terms of monitoring.

> Looking at NANOG archives, NAGIOS is the most prevalent tool, but its
> authorization mechanisms are somewhat below I would like so customers
> could not change anything both in configuration and in SLA software
> state

You can setup so that customer only sees the data on status of the
services he or she has access to by adding customer into as a contact
for host or services. Do you think that your customers should or
should not have such access to your central nagios system?

> I'm looking for something more like Cacti, where customers can be
> contained to only see some of the generated graphs.

Would you be satisfied with graphing extension to nagios that is
tied replicates nagios security mechanism where customer can see
graphs for the service he/she is listed as contact for?

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks
william at elan.net