SaidCom disconnected by Level 3 (former Telcove property)

Gerry Boudreaux gerry at tape.net
Fri Mar 16 02:20:11 UTC 2007

On Mar 15, 2007, at 8:25 PM, Jon Lewis wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Mar 2007, Frank Bulk wrote:
>>
>> http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/articlePrint.cfm?id=1310151
>>
>> Is this a normal thing for Level 3 to do, cut off small, responsive
>> providers?
>
> Even from that one-sided account, I have serious problems with:
>
>  Siwert said the Colorado-based Level 3 "cited several Internet
>  abuses" by SaidCom customers as the reason for the shutdown,
> including
>  spam problems. "Some customers abuse the system", but when that
>  happens, SaidCom contacts the authorities, said Siwert.
>
> When we have a customer spamming, we don't call the police.  We
> either talk to, ACL, or shut off the customer.  The above suggests
> to me that SaidCom had spam issues that they were either unable or
> unwilling to remedy themselves.

ACL's are your friends with non-responsive customers. ;-), But maybe
SaidCom did not know better.

How many Abuse tickets had they received from TelCove/(3) over what
time frame?

I may be way off base here: Only knowing the "facts" presented in the
above article, the "Abuse" complaints may have also included DMCA
complaints, which, if not responded to in a timely manner, could also
have resulted in liability for (3).*  As per the quote above, the
abuses included spam, he did not say they "were exclusively spam".

*I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV.

Just reading between the lines here...