NOC Personel Question (Possibly OT)

Jim Popovitch jimpop at
Thu Mar 15 02:12:31 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-03-14 at 22:07 -0400, Justin M. Streiner wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Mar 2007, Todd Christell wrote:
> > Sorry if this is OT but we are having a discussion with our HR
> > department.  We are in the process of getting a 24 X 7 NOC in place and
> > HR has a problem with calling them NOC Specialist.  What is the
> > generally accepted title?
> Not sure why your HR dept would even care :)
> hmmm.....
> NOC Engineer?
> NOC Analyst?
> NOC (insert generic group name here)?

SOC/NOC/RNOC/ROCK/CROC/Crock?  It certainly isn't specific.  Of all the
different customer environments I've visited, I don't ever recall 2 of
them using the same syntax or signage.   I would probably prefer
something like Systems Engineer or Network Engineer myself, esp if the
job involved trouble shooting and interacting with other professionals
(besides, everyone's an engineer these days.....)  Otherwise, if the job
is just screen watching then I think NOC Specialist would be valid.  You
will have cable TV in the NOC for those (Base|Foot|Basket)ball^wWeather
emergencies, right? ;-) 

-Jim P.

More information about the NANOG mailing list