[funsec] Not so fast, broadband providers tell big users (fwd)

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Wed Mar 14 17:55:10 UTC 2007

>The system I looked at had fiber along the high voltage lines anyway,
>to get enough bandwidth to the neighborhood - i.e., fiber to the
>neighborhood, plus equipment there to put the data onto the copper.
>After that, each transformer requires a shunt. Therefore, each
>transformer requires a truck roll plus equipment to get service. ...

My understanding is that in North America, the average number of
customers per transformer is about 4, while in Europe it's closer to
200, due both to the higher voltage and the different housing
patterns.

At 200 potential customers per transformer, it sorta makes sense, give
or take the performance and RF issues.  At four per transformer it's
absurd.

As someone else suggested, we might consider the fabulous success of
HomePlug, which everyone uses to distribute Ethernet over their home
power wiring.  Oh, they don't?  I wonder why not.

Regards,
Information Superhighwayman wanna-be, http://www.johnlevine.com, Mayor
"More Wiener schnitzel, please", said Tom, revealingly.