[funsec] Not so fast, broadband providers tell big users (fwd)

Scott Weeks surfer at mauigateway.com
Wed Mar 14 02:21:57 UTC 2007

> > For us in Hawaii IPTV will drive that.
>
>> for the service from the provider, or from remote places (example
>> google-tv which may or may-not exist, just an example of 'not $TELCO')
>
> For service from the provider to the customer, but the bits will still
> goto the user.  We also have the 'remote places' problem.  For example:
> www.hawaiiweb.com/maui/html/sites/kaupo.html but for the most part
> population-wise we'll get to the folks homes and workplaces.

Right, so because $TELCO wants to make more $$ from their customer they
enable slightly more BW from PE to CE, they may provision more backbone
capacity, peering capacity, or they may not. They may docsis/other-method
their service into a protected piece of that PE/CE pipe, they may not...
But if not for the '$TELCO wants to make more $$ from their customer'
status quo would be maintained on the PE/CE link, yes?

I'm having trouble following the whole email and hope I respond correctly, so here goes...  :-)

It'll be LOT more BW everywhere.  We will definitely provision more peering capacity as well as backbone capacity to give the customers what they want.  Also, we're not keeping the status quo on the PE/CE link.  Many changes there, too.

However, we're the 'worlds oldest startup' I'd imagine.  Started with a grant from King Kamehameha in the 1880s, but now have been bought by private equity and tasked with revamping the company kind of in the manner of a startup, so we're atypical in that light and due to the fact that the state of Hawaii is nine islands and 1.2 million people we have a very controlled environment to serve.

scott