[funsec] Not so fast, broadband providers tell big users (fwd)

Chris L. Morrow christopher.morrow at verizonbusiness.com
Tue Mar 13 20:39:27 UTC 2007

On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 andrew2 at one.net wrote:
> we're worrying about FTTH when some of the largest carriers are still not
> capable of delivering ethernet handoffs in some of those same top 30 cities.

so... 'ethernet handoff' to me is 'just another access media'. I had asked
at one point in time about this and part of the answer was: "people aren't
asking for it" which I thought odd since probably 50% of the people asking
me for 'can you get a sales person to call me about XXX' was 'a fast-e
handoff at ...' (or some form of 'ethernet'). Someone, a wise person, told
me that some carriers are more interested in selling 'pipe' than access, I
think he meant 'sonet pipe' or 'tdm pipe'. I think we'll see FTTX become
'just another access method' as well shortly. Afterall, what's the
difference between sonet/fttX/dsX/etherX if you just talk about last-mile
access? (surely gear in the lastmile matters here, but if you're rolling
it out to 150M locations what's 1% more locations for 'business access'?)