[funsec] Not so fast, broadband providers tell big users (fwd)

Roland Dobbins rdobbins at cisco.com
Tue Mar 13 17:33:37 UTC 2007

On Mar 13, 2007, at 10:10 AM, Daniel Senie wrote:

> As with the deployment of telephone service a century ago, the
> ubiquitious availability of broadband service will require
> government involvement in the form of fees on some and subsidies
> for others (might be a good use for the funds Massachusetts is
> trying to extract from Verizon for property tax on telephone poles,
> I suppose). Otherwise, we'll see the broadband providers continue
> to cherry pick the communities to service, and leave others in the
> digital dustbowl.

Various rural phone companies aside, the majority of this was
accomplished in the U.S. via a regulated monopoly, and in many other
countries via a government-owned regulated monopoly.  Do you believe
that's necessary and/or desirable in order to make broadband
ubiquitous?  How do longer-range wireless technologies like WiMAX
potentially impact the equation?

Roland Dobbins <rdobbins at cisco.com> // 408.527.6376 voice

         Words that come from a machine have no soul.

                       -- Duong Van Ngo