[funsec] Not so fast, broadband providers tell big users (fwd)

Roland Dobbins rdobbins at cisco.com
Tue Mar 13 16:15:43 UTC 2007

On Mar 13, 2007, at 9:11 AM, Joe Abley wrote:

> So long as most torrent clients are used to share content
> illicitly, that doesn't sound like much of a business driver for
> the DSL/CATV ISP. And so long as the average user doesn't have an
> alternative provider which gives better torrent sharing
> capabilities, there doesn't seem to be much of a risk of churn
> because of being torrent-unfriendly

er, that's why I put a smiley below it.  Like this:

;>

In all seriousness, DVR-on-demand type services offered by the SPs
themselves would be one driver.  Right now, they're all overlay
networks which the SPs don't view as being directly monetizable.  If/
when they offer such services themselves, however, I, predict this
will change.

Roland Dobbins <rdobbins at cisco.com> // 408.527.6376 voice

         Words that come from a machine have no soul.

                       -- Duong Van Ngo