single homed public-peer bandwidth ... pricing survey ?

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Tue Mar 6 23:35:06 UTC 2007

On Tue, 6 Mar 2007, Jason Arnaute wrote:

> Yes, that's what I am saying - one pipe only, and if
> it goes down, I go down.

Ok, so it sounds like they're doing MPLS or some sort of policy routing
to force your traffic out one of their transit providers.  I've seen other
providers do this.  Is this something you contractually requested?  If so,
I'd hope the price would be less than the multi-homed service I'm assuming
they sell to other customers.

> So ... I am wondering if roughly $150/mb/s is just way
> off the charts for something like that, or if I am
> only overpaying by roughly 10-30% or so ...

That depends on how much bandwidth you're buying.  If you're buying 1
Mb/s, that's probably not too unreasonable, though maybe just a bit high.
If you're buying 100 Mb/s, I'd hazard a guess that you're being robbed.
Double-check your contract for what they sold you, compared to what you
bought.

> And then, of course, I'd like to be pointed to where I
> can learn why HE.NET and L3 are so cheap compared to
> that, and what my cost/benefit would be to
> switching...

Again, it comes down to your current contract and the fine print on the
deals the other providers are pitching.  I doubt someone will sell you 1
Mb/s of bandwidth at >$30/Mb.  Those numbers likely have strings attached
to them, i.e. if you buy 100 Mb/s or more, sign some kind of long-term
deal, buy other "value-add" services, etc.

> (as for racks and power, it is on the high average
> side.  Roughly $1000/mo for a full cabinet)

In some parts of the country, colocation is becoming more of a seller's
market - high demand, space is at a premium.

jms