single homed public-peer bandwidth ... pricing survey ?

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Tue Mar 6 23:08:26 UTC 2007

On Mar 6, 2007, at 6:00 PM, Jason Arnaute wrote:
> --- Patrick Giagnocavo <patrick at zill.net> wrote:
>> Jason Arnaute wrote:

>>> I am currently hosted in a small, independent
>>> datacenter that has 4 or 5 public peers (L3,
>> Sprint,
>>> UUnet, AT&T and   ... ?)
>>>
>>> They are a very nice facility, very technical and
>>> professional, and have real people on-site 24
>> hours
>>> per day ... remote hands, etc.  All very high end
>> and
>>> well managed.
>>>
>>> But, I am charged between $150 and $180 per
>> megabit/s
>>> for non-redundant, single-homed bandwidth (not
>> sure
>>> which provider they put it on) and even if I
>> commit to
>>> 20 or 30 megabits/s it still only drops down to
>> $100 -
>>> $120 per megabit/s.
>>>

>> Are you sure that you are connected to only one
>> provider?  You mean that
>> they are not doing BGP so that if one connection
>> goes down, another path
>> to the Internet is available?
>

> Yes, that's what I am saying - one pipe only, and if
> it goes down, I go down.

I am confused.

You list 4 very, very large providers, yet say the datacenter has one
pipe.  Those two statements are in conflict - you can't get all 4 of
them on one pipe.

Also, you have not mentioned your volume.  You say L3 is $30/Mbps,
but they are no where near that for 1-5 Mbps of traffic.

--
TTFN,
patrick