Where are static bogon filters appropriate? was: 96.2.0.0/16 Bogons

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Fri Mar 2 15:31:10 UTC 2007

                        important word alert ------>     ^^^^^^

> policy and management of that policy. Bogon filters are
> an example of a policy implementation.

Note that I didn't say bogon filters were a bad idea.  I said that the
concept of installing a bogon filter and not adjusting it to fit the
changing realities over the years was usually(*) a bad idea.

(*) usually - if your business model allows you to reliably enumerate
the list of sites that you want to talk to, feel free to declare everything
outside the 3 /16s you actually need to talk to a "bogon".  Note that in
the preceding sentence, "reliably" is another important word... :)