Where are static bogon filters appropriate? was: 96.2.0.0/16 Bogons

Robert E. Seastrom rs at seastrom.com
Fri Mar 2 12:12:32 UTC 2007

Roland Dobbins <rdobbins at cisco.com> writes:

> On Mar 1, 2007, at 1:10 PM, Chris L. Morrow wrote:
>
>> So... again, are bogon filters 'in the core' useful? (call 'core' some
>> network not yours)
>
> Antispoofing is 'static' and therefore brittle in nature, people
> change jobs, etc. - so, we shouldn't do antispoofing, either?

Unicast RPF is neither static nor brittle, and we should do it.

I agree with smb though in somewhat less diplomatic terms - bogon
filtering by end sites is the sort of thing that is recommended by
"experts" for whom "security" is an end in and of itself, rather than
a component of the arsenal you bring forth (backups, DR, spares,
multihoming, etc) to improve uptime and business availability and
decrease potential risk.

For people who recommend cures that are as bad as the disease, we
recommend one of these: http://despair.com/consulting.html

                                        ---Rob