Where are static bogon filters appropriate? was: 96.2.0.0/16 Bogons

Roland Dobbins rdobbins at cisco.com
Thu Mar 1 22:40:16 UTC 2007

On Mar 1, 2007, at 1:10 PM, Chris L. Morrow wrote:

> So... again, are bogon filters 'in the core' useful? (call 'core' some
> network not yours)

Antispoofing is 'static' and therefore brittle in nature, people
change jobs, etc. - so, we shouldn't do antispoofing, either?

Enterprises typically don't do this stuff.  They should, and we work
to educate them, but it's even more difficult in that space than in
the SP space.

A question I have is whether or not this class of problems is more of
a 'need the vendors to come up with better/easier functionality' type
of problem, a 'need the SPs to do a better job with this' kind of
problem, or is it more in the realm of a 'TCP/IP in its current
incarnation(s) lends itself these kinds of issues' type of problem?

Roland Dobbins <rdobbins at cisco.com> // 408.527.6376 voice

           The telephone demands complete participation.

                       -- Marshall McLuhan