Where are static bogon filters appropriate? was: 96.2.0.0/16 Bogons

Gregory Edigarov greg at bestnet.kharkov.ua
Thu Mar 1 14:50:14 UTC 2007

Jon Lewis wrote:

> On Thu, 1 Mar 2007, Chris L. Morrow wrote:
>
>> So, where are static bogon filters appropriate? (loaded question
>> perhaps)
>> I ask because just about every 'security expert' and 'security
>> whitepaper'
>> or 'security suggestions' has some portion that speaks to "why it's a
>> grand idea to have acl-lines/firewall-policy tp block 'bogon' ip space"
>> (for some definition of 'bogon' of course).
>
> I suppose they're appropriate when done by network security
> consultants, as it guarantees future / repeat business.  :)

I'll second this opinion, As most of DDoS attacks are from  zombies,
which are in registered networks.
Especially I did never see any traffic from so called bogons. Perhaps,
bogon acls  are helpful when they are configured on backbone, but not
everywhere.

just my 1E-10  cents :-)
--
With best regards,