ICANN registrar supporting v6 glue?

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Fri Jun 29 23:11:04 UTC 2007

What I recall from the ICANN Lisbon meeting (end of March), after the SSAC
and RSSAC recommendations, is that a plan is being worked out with the root
operators in order to make sure that they have the deployment done and then
the hints file is modified.

I believe this will not take too much time (just a few months ?), if folks
are interested I can probably investigate about the concrete timing.

Today the ICANN board also approved a new resolution about IPv6, which I
just posted here:
http://www.ipv6tf.org/index.php?page=news/newsroom&id=3052

Regards,
Jordi

> De: Edward Lewis <Ed.Lewis at neustar.biz>
> Responder a: <owner-nanog at merit.edu>
> Fecha: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 15:43:45 -0400
> Para: <nanog at merit.edu>
> CC: <ed.lewis at neustar.biz>
> Asunto: Re: ICANN registrar supporting v6 glue?
>

> At 9:23 -0700 6/29/07, Barrett Lyon wrote:
>
>> I would like to support v6 so a native v6 only user can still communicate
>> with my network, dns and all, apparently in practice that is not easy to
>> do, which is somewhat ironic given all of the v6 push lately.  It also
>> seems like the roots are not even fully supporting this properly?
>
> Given that the ARIN BoT has published a call to move to IPv6:
>   http://www.arin.net/media/releases/070521-v6-resolution.pdf
> and that LACNIC and .MX have made these statements:
>   http://lacnic.net/en/anuncios/2007_agotamiento_ipv4.html
>   http://www.nic.mx/es/Noticias_2?NEWS=220
> and ICANN has been studying the issue:
>   http://www.icann.org/committees/security/sac018.pdf
>
> What possibly can be done to get the root zone "really" available on
> IPv6? http://www.root-servers.org/ lists a few root servers as having
> IPv6 addresses, so "really" means having
>
> for i in a b c d e f g h i j k l m; do dig $i.root-servers.net aaaa
> +norec; done
>
> return at least one AAAA in the answer section.
>
> What's the hold up?  What's getting worked on?  Is there a
> dns-root-on-ipv6-deployment task force anywhere?  Is there someone
> that can give an authoritative update on where we are on the road to
> being able to accomplish what is requested above?  Part of my
> reaction is to the quip "given all of the v6 push lately" juxtaposed
> with NANOG 40 that barely mentioned IPv6 in the agenda.
>
> If we can't get one application (DNS) to do IPv6 how can we expect
> the ISPs to just up and deploy it?  I would suspect that getting the
> roots - or just some of them - to legitimize their IPv6 presence
> would be easier than getting ISPs rolling.
> --
> Edward Lewis                                                +1-571-434-5468
> NeuStar
>
> Think glocally.  Act confused.

The IPv6 Portal: http://www.ipv6tf.org

Bye 6Bone. Hi, IPv6 !