ICANN registrar supporting v6 glue?

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Fri Jun 29 20:45:46 UTC 2007

On 29-jun-2007, at 19:06, Edward Lewis wrote:

>> I'm pretty disappointed now,

> Searching the ICANN web site I found this:

> http://www.icann.org/committees/security/sac018.pdf

> Does anyone know what's been happening in the wake of that document?

Well:

"Additional study and testing is encouraged to continue to assess the
impact of including AAAA records in the DNS priming response."

Apparently, this can't be studied enough. This is what I wrote in my
book two years ago:

"Since mid-2004, TLD registries may have IPv6 addresses included in
the root zone as glue records, and some TLDs allow end users to
register IPv6 nameserver addresses for their domains. Many of the
root name-servers are alreadyreachable over IPv6 (see http://www.root-
servers.org/). ICANN and theroot server operators are proceeding very
cautiously, but addition of IPv6 glue records to the root zone is
expected in the
not too distant future."

At this rate, we'll be fresh out of IPv4 space before anything
happens. More study is a waste of time, we all know that all
implementations from this century can handle it but a small
percentage of all sites is going to have trouble anyway because they
have protocol-breaking equipment installed. ICANN should bite the
bullet and announce a date for this so we can start beating the
firewall admins into submission.