The Choice: IPv4 Exhaustion or Transition to IPv6

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Fri Jun 29 20:33:28 UTC 2007

On 29-jun-2007, at 17:05, David Conrad wrote:

>> and destroy the DFZ,

> I'm not sure what "destroy the DFZ" means.  The DFZ will get
> bigger, no question.  Routing flux will go up.  Routers will have
> to work harder.  Router vendors will be happy.  However, I'm not
> sure how that could be interpreted as "destroyed".

Ok, explain this to me. Router capacity will grow. The number of
routing table entries will grow. How do we know that the latter
growth is necessarily slower than the former? And if we can't know
that in the current situation, isn't the responsible path forward one
towards the situation where we CAN know that?