ICANN registrar supporting v6 glue?

Jeroen Massar jeroen at unfix.org
Fri Jun 29 16:21:39 UTC 2007

Barrett Lyon wrote:

> Apparently GoDaddy does not support v6 glue for their customers, who
> does?  I don't think requiring dual-stack v6 users perform v4 queries to
> find AAAA records is all that great.

At least eNom does.

There are a few others but it tends to be that you have to raise a
support ticket to actually get the records in, most webinterfaces don't
support it yet unfortunately.

One note here is that even though you can get glue into com/net/org
using this method, there is no IPv6 glue for the root yet, as such even
if you manage to get the IPv6 glue in, it won't accomplish much (except
sending all IPv6 capable resolvers over IPv6 transport :) as all
resolvers will still require IPv4 to reach the root. One can of course
create their own root hint zone and force bind, or other dns server, to
not fetch the hints from the real root, but that doesn't help for the
rest of the planet. (Root alternatives like orsn could fix that up but
apparently their main german box that was doing IPv6 is out of the air)

Note also that various ccTLD's are able to add glue to your zone on
request (notably .fr/.ch/.nl/.se do so already for quite some time)

Greets,
 Jeroen