Thoughts on best practice for naming router infrastructure in DNS

Chris L. Morrow christopher.morrow at verizonbusiness.com
Fri Jun 29 15:44:41 UTC 2007

On Fri, 29 Jun 2007, Alexander Harrowell wrote:

> Mythic Beasts Ltd, IIRC, names their machines after, uh, mythic
> beasts. Which is consistent, but not especially useful..

perhaps a decent other question is: Do I want to let the whole world know
that router X with interfaces of type Y/Z/Q is located in 1-wilshire.

I suppose on the one hand it's helpful to know that Network-A has a device
with the right sorts of interfaces/capacity in a location I care about,
but it's also nice to know that for other reasons :( so naming things
about mythic beasts or cheese or movies is not so bad, provided your
NOC/OPS folks have a key that shows: optimus-prime.my.network.net ==
1-wilshire, m160, t1-customers-only.