The Choice: IPv4 Exhaustion or Transition to IPv6

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Fri Jun 29 15:05:12 UTC 2007

Christian,

On Jun 29, 2007, at 10:13 AM, Christian Kuhtz wrote:
> If you want to emulate IPv4

Given IPv6 is IPv4 with 96 more bits (or, if you prefer 16 more bits
from the ISP perspective), why would you assume there is a choice?

> and destroy the DFZ,

I'm not sure what "destroy the DFZ" means.  The DFZ will get bigger,
no question.  Routing flux will go up.  Routers will have to work
harder.  Router vendors will be happy.  However, I'm not sure how
that could be interpreted as "destroyed".  Just call it the
Everglades and move on.

Yes, it sucks and is painfully stupid, but we've been here before
around the mid 90's.  Same solutions apply.

In any event, the IPv4 free pool will be exhausted "soon".  We're
looking at gobs of NAT or vast tracts of swamp.  Actually most likely
both. You ready?

Rgds,
-drc