The Choice: IPv4 Exhaustion or Transition to IPv6

Seth Mattinen sethm at rollernet.us
Thu Jun 28 21:19:07 UTC 2007

So we should deploy IPv6... I get it. The argument comes up time
and time again. I would do it tomorrow - nay, today - if I had an answer
to one thing: How the heck do I multihome? I have v6 space from Sprint
to play with, but I'm reluctant to use it because I can't multihome with it.

The end user doesn't care about 4 vs. 6, or anything we discuss here,
all they care is that it *works*. It's all a magic box to them anyway.
Businesses care that we can guarantee that it works. I want the same
reliability with v6 that I have right now with v4, and single homed v6
isn't going to cut it, nor is some host-based hack, or every host gets a
v6 address from each v6 provider, or stupid DNS tricks. Am I crazy to
want routers to make the routing decisions?

~Seth