The Choice: IPv4 Exhaustion or Transition to IPv6

Lynda True (aka Etaoin Shrdlu) shrdlu at deaddrop.org
Thu Jun 28 19:07:48 UTC 2007

Kevin Oberman wrote:

>>From: Stephen Wilcox <steve.wilcox at packetrade.com>
>>

>> I wasnt specifically thinking of reclamation of space, I was noting a
>> couple of things:
>>
>>- that less than 50% of the v4 space is currently routed. scarcity will presumably cause these non-routed blocks to be:
>> :- used and routes
>> :- reclaimed and reassigned
>> :- sold on
>>

>Some of it, but a large part of the "missing" space belongs to the US
>Government, mostly the military. It is very much in use and is routed
>carefully such that it does not show up in the public Internet.

There's another set of missing space, here. It seems to be the elephant
in the room. While I can't (or won't) speak to the routing issues
mentioned in the thread, I wonder that no one has brought up all the
legacy space that is held by a few large conglomerates. No, I'm not
talking about AT&T, here. I refer to the early days, when class B
networks were handed out like penny candy, and when organizations could
get class C space equivalent to a class B. When Company A has, say, 5 or
6 of those, and then acquires Company B, and then C and D, and all of
them have that same allotment, it becomes a non-trivial amount of space.
If there's really only 5 or 6 big companies, where there used to be 50
or so, we are suddenly talking about a non-trivial amount of space.

Unfortunately, there's no good way to make them give it up. When you can
see that they could easily make do with a single /8 (or less), it's
rather sad that we don't have a mechanism in place that punishes for
greed, and rewards for surrender of unused (or at least completely
unnecessary) space. I only know about the industry I came from, of
course, and I suspect that the lion's share of over-allocation is in it.
I rather doubt that such things as banking, which came late to the
table, have that characteristic. I know it's not a permanent answer, but
it seems that (unlike the black space over on milnet et al) there's a
temporary reprieve to exhaustion in there somewhere.

--
The more sand has escaped from the hourglass of our life,
the clearer we should see through it.