The Choice: IPv4 Exhaustion or Transition to IPv6

Stephen Wilcox steve.wilcox at packetrade.com
Thu Jun 28 15:00:07 UTC 2007

Hmm I find this topic quite interesting.

First is the belief that the Internet will suddenly break on the day when the last IP block is allocated by an RIR - the fact that most of the v4 space is currently not being announced may mean we have many years before there are real widespread shortages

Second is the belief that this will prompt a migration to IPv6, as though moving to an entirely different and largely unsupported protocol stack is the logical thing to happen. Surely it is easier and far cheaper by use of existing technology for example for organisations to make efficient use of their public IPs and deploy NATs?

As technology people we are looking at v6 as the clean bright future of IP, but the real world is driven by economics and I dont see v6 as being economically viable in the near future....

I'm also yet to hear a convincing explanation of how v6 and v4 are expected to interoperate in a v4 internet that contains v6 islands...

Steve