AUP/autoresponders, rehashed

Jo Rhett jrhett at svcolo.com
Wed Jun 27 00:13:57 UTC 2007

On Jun 26, 2007, at 5:11 PM, Bill Nash wrote:
> Counterpoint, you're suggesting what will ultimately denigrate into an
> assault on mistakes and absent-mindedness, as people with nothing
> better
> to do make periodic examples of people who screw up.

I didn't much care for the original proposal.  I never said a single
thing in support of it, so please apologize for putting words in my
mouth.

I disagreed with a number of arguments against it, and those are what
I addressed.

In my opinion the community would be better served by paying someone
to spend half an hour each day (at most) to unsubscribe the people
who spew autoresponder junk.

1. It adds zero off-topic traffic to the list.
2. It forces the person to take action to re-subscribe, so they won't
be able to ignore it.
3. Many may not bother to resubscribe, and their presence won't be
missed.

Very simple, very straightforward, very minimal impact.

--
Jo Rhett
senior geek

Silicon Valley Colocation