AUP/autoresponders, rehashed

Bill Nash billn at billn.net
Wed Jun 27 00:11:22 UTC 2007

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007, Jo Rhett wrote:
> >I think someone suggests the above everytime a discussion comes up. In the
> >spirit of "a very simple solution", everyone can be their own dictator of
> >their own mailbox -- they don't need to protect the rest of the list, or
> >develop a consensus for change. Just fix it for yourself. This is a
> >time-honored NANOG tradition, at least when it comes to email.
>
> No.  What you are suggesting is that I waste a minute or two for every
> ignorant or uncaring person on this list.  I don't have that kind of time.
> This is supposed to be an operators list.  If you can't meet a very simple
> baseline guide for not being an idiot, you should be removed from the list.

"There are two buttons on my desk. One supplies power to your homes. The
other unleashes the hounds."

Counterpoint, you're suggesting what will ultimately denigrate into an
assault on mistakes and absent-mindedness, as people with nothing better
to do make periodic examples of people who screw up.

Both lists would be better served with an automated monthly reminder of
what's cool, what isn't, and flavor-of-the-month etiquette suggestions.
Averaged over a year, that's 12 posts I can filter with the vague hope
that other people will pay attention to it and self-police, compared to
the vitriolic spew that will ensue once hunting season is declared.

- billn

PS. Also periodic exploding squirrel updates. I like those.