Security gain from NAT: Top 5

Jo Rhett jrhett at svcolo.com
Wed Jun 27 00:06:04 UTC 2007

On Jun 6, 2007, at 9:43 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:
>>   #1 NAT advantage: it protects consumers from vendor
>>   lock-in.
>>
> Speaking of FUD...  NAT does nothing here that is not also
> accomplished
> through the use of PI addressing

If you completely ignore the cost of routing table growth to give
every company their own PI, sure.

>>   #2  NAT advantage: it protects consumers from add-on
>>   fees for addresses space.
>>
> More FUD.  The correct solution to this problem is to make it possible
> for end users to get reasonable addresses directly from RIRs for
> reasonable fees.

Reasonable is a hard word.  We've had to turn away customers who
wanted to assign a /27 to each and every machine, without actual
justification for more than 3 IPs per machine.  Sometimes people want
to do insane things that aren't technically reasonable, but it's what
they want to do.  NAT gives them that option.

--
Jo Rhett
senior geek

Silicon Valley Colocation