AUP/autoresponders, rehashed

Jo Rhett jrhett at svcolo.com
Tue Jun 26 23:56:01 UTC 2007

On Jun 26, 2007, at 2:09 PM, Deepak Jain wrote:
> That said, a very simple way to handle it is to separate your mail
> (whether its procmail, a separate mailbox, a + rule in your name,
> or what have you) to automatically catch these "horrible"
> autoresponders into a box that doesn't clutter your critical mail.
> I think that's how most of us do it.

Wow.  Dude.  Filtering my mail into folders?  Gee, what a keen new
idea you have there!  I've only been doing that for... lets put it
this way, UUCP was the primary mail transport when I first started
doing that.

Why oh why do people post nonsense like this on a list supposed to be
full of operators?

> I think someone suggests the above everytime a discussion comes up.
> In the spirit of "a very simple solution", everyone can be their
> own dictator of their own mailbox -- they don't need to protect the
> rest of the list, or develop a consensus for change. Just fix it
> for yourself. This is a time-honored NANOG tradition, at least when
> it comes to email.

No.  What you are suggesting is that I waste a minute or two for
every ignorant or uncaring person on this list.  I don't have that
kind of time.  This is supposed to be an operators list.  If you
can't meet a very simple baseline guide for not being an idiot, you
should be removed from the list.

--
Jo Rhett
senior geek