TransAtlantic Cable Break

Robert Blayzor rblayzor at inoc.net
Sun Jun 24 17:13:38 UTC 2007

Chris L. Morrow wrote:
> Then there's the interesting: "How do you classify 'to be dropped'
> traffic?" Simon suggests nntp or BitTorrent could be put into a lower
> class queue, I'm curious as to how you'd classify traffic which is
> port-agile such as BitTorrent though. In theory that sounds like a grand
> plan, in practice it isn't simple...

It really depends on the network.  Not all networks are the same.  Case
in point we have some network that carries a lot of video.  Obviously we
want all the channels to get from point A to point B, but there are
services that really can be classed as "best effort"; like the VOD
stuff.  In most cases if VOD becomes unavailable, "so what".  You can
always watch it later when it's available again.  Of course you want
those types of services to always be available, but sometimes spending
the $$$ to make that kind of thing four or five nines isn't built into
the business case.

--
Robert Blayzor
INOC
rblayzor at inoc.net
http://www.inoc.net/~rblayzor/

YOUR PC's broken and I'VE got a problem?
 -- The BOFH Slogan