Network Parameters on Subscriber side feelings

Leigh Porter leigh.porter at ukbroadband.com
Mon Jun 18 12:02:55 UTC 2007

michael.dillon at bt.com wrote:
>>   is there any work or research on measuring method for
>> subscriber (customer)side feelings of network service?
>>
>>   It seems that e2e ping delay, packet loss may miss some
>> important factor when we consider subscriber's feelings.
>>

> Although zero packet loss is a sign of very low jitter, you can't
> generalize that if there is packet loss. Since jitter is important to
> VoIP and some media streaming, you might want to measure that directly.
> Of course, if your ping delay measurement is fine-grained enough, then
> you can calculate the jitter based on the difference between the maximum
> e2e ping delay and the minimum over a period of time.  It's better if
> the period of time is short enough so that you can learn what your most
> likely jitter vaues are, not just the worst case.
>
> --Michael Dillon

We have been doing a lot of work on how to measure the subscriber
"experience" of a network. e2e ping delay actually is quite a good
measure so long as you use it correctly. However we found that using
tools such as iperf to take periodic measurments of TCP throughput, UDP
throughput and packet loss was far more interesting.

--
Leigh Porter