Assigning a fine (Was: Quarantining infected hosts (Was: FBI tells the public to call their ISP for help))

Frank Bulk frnkblk at iname.com
Mon Jun 18 11:17:28 UTC 2007

Assigning a fine doesn't win any friends.  The customer is already miffed
that:
a) we talked to them and wasted their precious personal time
b) 'accused' them of malicious activity
c) that we took them offline
d) that they'll now need to spend $100 at a computer shop or use up goodwill
credits with computer-savvy friends to fix it up.

No, fines don't help, at least for the majority of people.  If they care in
any way they will try to get it fixed ASAP, and if they don't care, well, we
don't feel too bad then if we have to disconnect them.  Again, that's rarely
the case because 99% of people really do care.

Regards,

Frank