FBI tells the public to call their ISP for help

Florian Weimer fw at deneb.enyo.de
Sat Jun 16 20:14:15 UTC 2007

* Douglas Otis:

> At the prior ISOS conference in Redmond, Microsoft made assurances
> even systems failing Genuine Advantage verification can enable
> automatic udpates to obtain critical updates.  One of the attendees
> remarked privately this automation works only for English versions of
> XP. : (

Yeah, I couldn't install the latest security update today; I was
forced to run WGA first.  I have to admit that I didn't try very hard
to bypass it since WGA was already installed on that machine.

Microsoft has been quite successful in associating security updates
with piracy.  Perhaps not at a technical level, but definitely in
people's minds. 8-(