FBI tells the public to call their ISP for help

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Thu Jun 14 19:21:54 UTC 2007

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007, Jeroen Massar wrote:
> You want to have a look at:
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/wsus/
>
> Which is used in large organizations to deploy patches with ease.
> Requires some AD mumbojumbo of course.
>
> Really the information is out there, google knows, so can you :)

Read the Microsoft license agreement for WSUS, the information is out
there.  It works for institutional license holders, but not for public
ISPs.

Small ISPs without legions of lawyers may not worry about stuff like this,
but unfortunately large ISPs have too.  Its not a technical issue.  If the
Microsoft lawyers said ok, the engineers could come up with lots of ways
to do this. I asked Microsoft's lawyers multiple times. But as always,
you should consult with your own legal advisor.

I keep hoping one day Microsoft will announce something like WSUS for
ISPs.  But its been several years.