FBI tells the public to call their ISP for help

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Thu Jun 14 18:12:22 UTC 2007

>Its not a technical problem (although engineers seem to like to think
>everything is), its a legal issue with Microsoft's lawyer and licenses.

I realize it's not a technical problem, although I suspect there are
some technical twiddles that could help, e.g., persuading Microsoft to
put the update servers in their own ASN to make it easier to put them
in a sandbox.  And I realize that Microsoft's combination of arrogance
and naivete can make them painful to deal with.

So I guess I'm glad that the FBI has told people to call their ISPs,
to remind ISPs that doing nothing is not costless, and to provide an
incentive to keep pushing on MS and other providers of problem
software to do something about it.

R's,
John