Power conservation - was: 24x7 Support Strategies

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Thu Jun 14 15:44:50 UTC 2007

> But back to chips and heat generation. Has anyone
> instrumented some of these servers (and their software) to
> figure out how much heat various functions generate?

It seems that someone has done just that. A list member sent me a
private reply pointing me to http://www.linuxpowertop.org/

I still think that special hardware that can work with profiling data to
target specific blocks of code inside the process would also be useful
to identify best programming practices. However, many programmers debug
their code quite effectively without profilers by means of print
statements, and this powertop tool can be leveraged by a programmer with
source code available. If nothing else, code two variations of a program
and compare powertop results.

--Michael Dillon