24x7 Support Strategies

Stuart Henderson stu at spacehopper.org
Thu Jun 14 15:38:27 UTC 2007

On 2007/06/14 15:11, michael.dillon at bt.com wrote:
> I suspect that you would need to make special modifications to the
> hardware of a server to install temperature and current measuring
> devices in key locations

The vast majority of modern machines have working temperature sensors;
some just one or two (e.g. cpu and case temperature), others have a huge
range.

If you're unlucky and use an OS which doesn't provide access and
monitoring of these as part of the standard installation, third-party
software is usually available.

Non-CPU-bound servers can often benefit from enabling power-saving
features too (e.g. speedstep, powernow/cool'n'quiet). In some cases this
is very simple and offers significant reduction in power consumption and
heat generation.