Network Level Content Blocking (UK)

Florian Weimer fw at deneb.enyo.de
Fri Jun 8 12:59:32 UTC 2007

* Jeroen Massar:

> I wonder how this solves the, from what I found out, common situation
> that people rent cheap "root servers" in a country like Germany where
> they VPN into and thus have full access to everything.

In Germany, the legal framework for filtering transit traffic already
exists, so if the UK precedent shows that it's technically and
economically feasible, this will be implemented over here, too.  I
doubt the situation is much different in most European countries.

Of course, when the blocking is pretty much universal, I don't really
see how the list maintainer verifies that the reason for blocking
still exists.  On the other hand, this might also provide an
opportunity to shut down some of the most egregious malware
distributors and controllers.